Numerous wars and destructions (Slavonski Brod was bombed as many as 28 times in World War II), as well as the use of wood as the primary construction material, affected the number of preserved architectural monuments in our county. However, there are several examples of architecture that have great cultural and historical value. This is especially true for the Brod fortress and 2 Franciscan monasteries, in Slavonski Brod and Cernik. 2 town squares, in Slavonski Brod and Nova Gradiška, with numerous historical buildings (Dom Brlić in Slavonski Brod or the church of St. Teresa of Avila in Nova Gradiška) are also worth a visit.
Today, the county seat is located in Slavonski Brod, a city where more than a third of all the county’s residents live and where most of the spiritual and economic life is concentrated. However, the path that the city of Slavonski Brod took to reach its current level of development is long and often associated with the deaths of invading armies.
The first recorded settlement in the area of Slavonski Brod is the Roman Marsunnia, which was inhabited by retired Roman legionary soldiers. However, with the fall of the Roman Empire, Marsunnia also disappeared. The settlement in the area of Slavonski Brod is re-emerging in the mists of the Middle Ages. Tradition says that at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, famous nobles from the Berislavić family built Brod as their residence, but also as a place of defense against the Turks, who from 1463 dominated most of neighboring Bosnia, which the Berislavićs once ruled. After returning from the failed campaign against Vienna, the Turks ravaged the Croatian regions in 1536 and captured Slavonia, and with it Slavonski Brod. During the sixteenth century, Brod became a Turkish-Ottoman nafs, a military and trading post. However, today’s city does not have the characteristics of those medieval and early modern settlements. The city began to build its present form, spirit and mentality only at the beginning of the eighteenth century, when it became part of the Central European empire of the Habsburg Monarchy.
The urban form and the Central European spirit are mostly remembered by the Brod Fortress and the Franciscan monastery.
The second city in the Brod-Posavina County is Nova Gradiška. It is located in the western part of the county and largely assumes the role of the central place of that part of the county, thus complementing Slavonski Brod.
A similar thing happened during the history, which for Nova Gradiška does not go back as far as for Slavonski Brod. Namely, Nova Gradiška was founded in 1748 with the purpose of being the command center of the western part of the Slavonian border towards the Ottoman Empire of the 8th Gradiška Krajina Regiment. In accordance with the provisions of the military authorities, which were a combination of Baroque luxury and military needs, Nova Gradiška was built as a place of straight, parallel streets that intersect in a spacious quadrangular square. As at that time, the most important buildings for the life of the city are located on the square today. These are the beautiful one-nave late-baroque church of St. Teresija with a unique pyramidal tower with protruding edges, the main guard building with typical Krajina, but still beautiful, arcades, museum and court buildings, and some young buildings from the Classicist and Art Nouveau periods. In the classicist church of St. Stjepan from 1828 (today renamed the church of the Blessed Virgin Mary) there are paintings by one of the most important painters of the Croatian Art Nouveau: Celestin Medović. They only complete the great impression of the square and the buildings on it that symbolize the city of Nova Gradiška.