Menu
festung

BAROQUE AND ROCOCO IN THE HEART OF POSAVINA'S VILLAGES

The sixteen-year war that ensued after the last Ottoman attempt to conquer Vienna in 1683 was also waged on the Slavonian territory causing destruction and exodus that resulted in depletion of the population and the urban essence of the region. Slavonia, together with Slavonski Brod Posavina as its part, began its new life within the Hapsburg Monarchy which won this war. It was not before the 18th century that modern, organized villages started to be built according to the chess-board model (ribbon building). Along with them the first representative buildings were being built that have roots in the European cultural heritage.

Nevertheless, because of the military command over the border to the Ottoman Empire and for military-security reasons the initial buildings were made of wood, an easily perishable material. The first brick-and-mortar Baroque church the Church of St. John the Baptist - was built as late as 1780 in Slavonski Kobaš. Today this church is listed in the national cultural heritage register as is the Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalena in Bebrina and the Church of St. Michael the Archangle in Dubočac both of which share the features of St. John the Baptist Church in Slavonski Kobaš. These are all single-aisle buildings with a bell tower at the front, a semi-circular sanctuary and the attached vestry on the south side. Each is, however, unique in its stucco decorations and ornaments. The symmetry of ornamental rhythm with multiplying undulating lines of churches in Dubočac, Slavonski Kobaš and Bebrina produces a lively fusion of the sacral and the artificial. The art is also manifested in the simple ornamentation of the church interior and the altar paintings depicting Biblical motifs as well as the ceiling paintings that through time underwent several changes. The paintings, like their probable Italian models, are free of surface, wall character and with the help of linear perspective reflect the spirit of freedom. Especially interesting is the 1764 votive painting from the St. John the Baptist Church in Slavonski Kobaš. A detail of this painting depicts a soldier of the 8th Nova Gradiška Military Border Regiment.

A valuable example of church architecture is also the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church in Nova Kapela which is built in the so-called Theresian Baroque and dominates the village. It has a cintor (a fenced space around the church) with four tower chapels at corners. The entrance features the sculptures of St. Thomas and St. Henry. The church has been placed under state protection because of its valuable interior consisting of the main and side altars, pulpit, baptistery, four silver candlesticks on the main altar and a gold ciborium (gift of Maria Theresa).

World-class buildings from the period of Baroque and Rococo in Brodsko Posavlje are primarily buildings of public or military use. Military purposes were met by the command buildings of the hospitals, military-administrative departments that controlled the space of three to four villages. They are regularly the groundbeds with a swirling gable, a porch with arcades facing the street side. Though they are regularly military monarchs, however, they give their baroque and degraded construction to their arcades. On the other hand, the houses of ordinary soldiers or border guards were made of cerpipe or wood, they were plastered with the jewel in which it was plowing. Such houses remained in the ship's end until the turn of the 19th century, when they replaced the houses with masonry bricks.